AIMS undertakes long-term, large-scale and wide-ranging research, thanks to the scientific excellence and multidisciplinary strength of our staff. Their expertise also informs our ability to undertake the end-to-end research that is needed to meet Australia’s marine science needs.
Our scientists are on the ground and in the water, mapping, monitoring and collecting information on our marine estate. They are in our labs, analysing data, modelling and pushing the boundaries of tropical marine science.
And they are in meeting rooms and boardrooms, working with environmental managers, regulators, policy-makers and industry operators to translate this knowledge into management and decision-making tools.
Our staff operate under a series of principles that guide our communication with each other. These "Way We Will Work" principles ensure that we will:
- do what we say;
- listen and try to understand;
- involve people in issues that affect them and explain our decisions;
- be responsible for our actions and lead by example;
- encourage understanding, passion and excellence;
- appreciate and respect others;
- give credit where credit is due; and
- share our enthusiasm.