To provide the research and knowledge of Australia’s tropical marine estate required to support growth in its use, effective environmental management and protection of its unique ecosystems.
Our vision is for:
- A healthy and resilient Great Barrier Reef
- Sustainable coastal ecosystems and industries across northern Australia
- Environmentally sustainable offshore oil and gas development
- Integrated observing systems and robust long-term monitoring of key components of Australia’s tropical coastal and marine ecosystems
- Strategic and applied research into major gaps in our understanding of the impacts of natural and human pressures on these ecosystems
- Effective environmental risk assessment and decision tools that drive efficiency gains in evidence-based regulatory regimes and marine industry development
- Publicly available data and information bases.
- International research collaborations enhancing Australia’s role in supporting regional blue economies
To fulfil this vision, AIMS follows a strategic plan designed to marshal its strengths and resources.