Postdoctoral Fellowship: Quantitative Decision Support / Operations Research
About this exciting Opportunity
The Modelling and Decision Support (M&DS) team provides solution science, which is a strategic priority for AIMS. M&DS delivers science- and evidence-based decision support and advice for internal and external customers. We are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to aid in the development and operationalisation of decision-support systems for coral reefs and other tropical marine ecosystems.
You will be joining a small multi-disciplinary team of ecosystem modellers, ecologists, data scientists, decision scientists and software/system developers. You will have the opportunity to work with collaborators in the fields of engineering, economics, business strategy and social sciences.
You will be focused on helping to tackle complex decision problems for marine science, management and policy, in part by integrating quantitative and analytical decision analyses that can help identify solutions. Your work will help to further grow the profile of the modelling and decision-support team, and our capability to develop quantitative, state-of the art decision support systems, approaches, and tools for our organisation.
You will have achieved your PhD or a Masters complemented by relevant expertise and experience from industry, in Quantitative Ecology, Operations Research, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, or another relevant disciple, and be experienced in leading or collaborating with solution-focused projects in the fields of Operations Research or quantitative Decision Science.
With proven programming skills using major platforms (e.g., R Matlab, C++, Python, Julia), you will be able to apply your capabilities to problem-solving in complex systems, ideally in ecology. You will have a research background or training in spatial planning or spatial conversation prioritization, and experience applying mathematics, statistics and modelling to solve optimisation problems in environmental management or nature conservation scenarios.
Apply now and join a world leading organisation with attractive working conditions. In line with our Enterprise Agreement, the successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- AIMS AOF Level 4 salary ($87,690 to $99,790 per annum) plus 15.4% superannuation
- Full-time, 3-year Fixed Term opportunity
- Located in Townsville (Qld). Commuter car arrangements to site
- 9-day fortnight
- Flexible Work Arrangements considered (including tele-working where possible)
- Generous leave provisions
- Free Onsite Gym and Optional Fitness passport
- Relocation Assistance available
1. Non-Australian Citizens must hold an appropriate Visa with working entitlements that allows paid employment with AIMS for the term of the appointment, depending on the relevant Department of Home Affairs current policies.
2. AIMS strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Whilst it is not currently a mandatory requirement for this role, AIMS reserves the right to review its position and policy on mandatory vaccinations. It may therefore become a mandatory requirement for this role in the future.
Further information about this exciting and challenging opportunity is outlined in the Candidate Information Pack which is available to download below. If, after reviewing the position description, which is included in the Candidate Information Pack, you believe that your qualifications, experience and professional capabilities will enable you to successfully the deliver the position responsibilities, we would be very interested in hearing from you.
Below you will also find a link to our Recruitment Application Guide which details the necessity to submit your statements addressing your suitability against the selection criteria within the scope of the position description, which are detailed in the Candidate Information Pack.
Submitting your Application:
Please ensure that you have your completed documents (selection criteria responses, resume and cover letter) ready to attach to your online application form via our e-recruitment system which can be accessed via the "apply now" button below.
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to complete a personal outlook analysis questionnaire using the Birkman Method.
Position enquiries are to be directed to Dr Ken Anthony at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: THURSDAY, 6 OCTOBER 2022 (midnight, AEST).