Benthic Ecologist - Long-term Monitoring Program
About this exciting Opportunity
Working within a team focused on improving the management of coral reefs, you will play a significant role in the planning, coordination, and execution of monitoring activities in remote locations that work around the constraints imposed by tide and weather. Drawing on your experience you will participate in field data collection on benthic communities using a variety of survey methodologies and will undertake post-fieldwork processing including data collation, computer-based image analysis, data management and analyses.
You will also prepare reports on benthic monitoring data and will contribute to continuous improvement and innovation in technology and analyses to improve data gathering or dissemination efficiencies. At AIMS, the way we work guides our team members' on their collective journey towards the successful delivery of our AIMS Strategy 2025 targets.
Underpinning your suitability for this position will be your tertiary qualification in Marine Biology or a related discipline, with well-developed knowledge of coral reef ecology and understanding of the roles of key benthic groups. You will also be able to demonstrate your:
- Experience in conducting visual surveys of coral reef benthic communities, including the use of cameras to acquire data and the ability to identify coral reef benthic organisms.;
- Strong competence and knowledge of experimental and survey design, standard statistical techniques used in the analysis of large ecological datasets, and the ability to use database and statistical software;
- Demonstrated experience processing data, including image analysis, data archiving and management; and
- Willingness and ability to participate in fieldwork activities in remote offshore locations for extended periods of time, including meeting AIMS’s field work requirements for boating and diving.
- Previous experience organising and leading field trips would be highly desirable.
Apply now and join a world leading organisation with attractive working conditions. In line with our Enterprise Agreement, the successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- AIMS AOF Level 3 Enhanced salary ($68,759 to $86,200 per annum) plus 15.4% superannuation
- Full-time, 2-year Temporary Labour Hire arrangement
- Located in Townsville (Qld). Commuter car arrangements to site
- 9-day fortnight
- Flexible Work Arrangements considered (including tele-working where possible)
- Generous leave provisions
1. Non-Australian Citizens must hold an appropriate Visa with working entitlements that allows paid employment with AIMS for the term of the appointment, depending on the relevant Department of Home Affairs current policies.
2. It is a requirement of this role that you are and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please note the sighting of proof of vaccination will be required as a pre commencement requirement.
Further information about this exciting and challenging opportunity is outlined in the Candidate Information Pack which is available to download below. If, after reviewing the position description, which is included in the Candidate Information Pack, you believe that your qualifications, experience and professional capabilities will enable you to successfully the deliver the position responsibilities, we would be very interested in hearing from you.
Below you will also find a link to our Recruitment Application Guide which details the necessity to submit your statements addressing your suitability against the selection criteria within the scope of the position description, which are detailed in the Candidate Information Pack.
Submitting your Application:
Please ensure that you have your completed documents (selection criteria responses, resume and cover letter) ready to attach to your online application form via our e-recruitment system which can be accessed via the "apply now" button below.
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to complete a personal outlook analysis questionnaire using the Birkman Method.
Position enquiries are to be directed to Mike Emslie at email@example.com
Applications close: SUNDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2022 (midnight, AEST).