AIMS's research is designed to meet the complex and diverse challenges facing our marine ecosystems, as well as the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Over the next decade we will deliver the research and knowledge that governments, industry and the wider community need to make informed decisions about the management of our marine estate.
- a healthy and resilient Great Barrier Reef
- sustainable coastal ecosystems and industries
- ecologically sustainable offshore oil and gas development.
These are underpinned by:
- publicly available data and information bases
- integrated observing systems and robust long-term monitoring of key elements of the nation’s key marine estate
- effective environmental risk assessment and decision tools that drive efficiency gains in evidence-based regulatory regimes and marine industry development.
To achieve this vision, AIMS collaborates with Australian and international researchers, and consults with stakeholders and the wider community. We are constantly innovating—finding new ways to capture, manage, analyse and share vast amounts of information that is collected with traditional tools and new technologies.